A mega-bonus of being a #StreamTeam member is that once in a while I get the totally awesome perk of being able to preview a show before it airs to the rest of the world.
Usually it’s kids shows and, let’s face it, my kids have no concept of “waiting for the next new episode”. For them, their favourite TV shows are just there, all the time, and they don’t care about new episodes because their lives are all about watching the same episode over, and over, and over, and over again. Honestly, they’re mostly just confused when confronted with a new episode of any of their regular shows.
Me, on the other hand, I’m old-school. In this world of binge watching entire seasons all in one go, I have trouble adjusting to real life when I’m forced to wait SEVEN WHOLE DAYS for my regular shows to air each week.
So when I had the chance to preview the first few episodes of Fuller House I was pretty excited! You see, I was one of those people who was all like “New Full House episodes? That’s crazy talk, that show was so lame!” But then the nostalgia hit me. And I’m nothing if not a sucker for nostalgia. Yup, I got sucked in.
I immediately started re-watching old episodes of Full House and there are a few things that I learned to be true:
- Mullets were IN, but so very wrong.
- People in sitcoms sure did hug a lot.
- The Tanner house is like a Tardis, bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, but then again weren’t all sitcom houses?
- DJ Tanner was my favourite
- Kimmy is that special friend we all had growing up
These same things can also be said of Fuller House (minus the mullets – – so far…). The characters are all grown up and have lives in this modern world that are far removed from mom-jeans and slouch socks. But the humour is still there, and the show even takes a few well-times moments to poke fun at itself for being a reboot, and breaking the 4th wall when referring back to the older version of itself. Very cleverly done.
So, even if you’re like me and are very protective of your nostalgia shows, give Fuller House a chance. From what I’ve seen so far, they’re on the right path. The cheese factor is 100% at times, but isn’t that what nostalgia is all about sometimes?
Season 1 of Fuller House will be available on Netflix starting this Friday February 26th, so get your binge-watching pants on, it’s time to head back to San Francisco!
In the meantime, check out these Fuller House inspired Netflix collections to keep you busy until then:
- TV Time for the Fam: www.netflix.com/familytv
- Fuller House and Other Fave Fams: www.netflix.com/fullhousetofuller
- Supermoms Like DJ Fuller: www.netflix.com/djfuller
- Steph Tanner Presents “How Rude” TV: www.netflix.com/stephtanner
- Kimmy Gibbler and Other Pesky Friends: www.netflix.com/kimmygibbler